Fashion designer turned Teacher | blogger | Coffee and desserts lover | Vlogging enthusiast

Aug 23, 2024

☾ Sailor Moon Cosmos The Movie


Sailor Moon Cosmos was finally released outside Japan! I waited for over a year to watch it since it came out back in June 2023 and all we could see were movie trailers. I was especially excited because it was supposed to cover the Sailor Moon Sailor Stars season, which is one of my all time favorites.
You all know I've been a Sailor Moon fan for pretty much all my life so, it was defo a must watch for me. 
So yeah, I watched the 2 part movies on the release date (Aug. 22nd) and I thought I should come here to share my thoughts on the movies as someone who loves this story and its characters, just as I did with the Sailor Moon Eternal Movie. Not much has changed since the SM Eternal movie tho, I still haven't finished watching Sailor Moon Crystal and, haven't read the manga. From what I know, these movies are also the last chapter of SM Crystal and, are more loyal to the manga. Still, it's easy to understand if you watched the 90's anime but, you do have to watch SM Eternal first cuz it is a continuation in a way.

This won't be a movie review and it might be a little over the place, hehe. Hope not to spoil anything.
I really suck at writing synopsis so I'll just include the one from the Netflix website to give you a general idea:


"Sailor Moon must stand up and fight once again when a new enemy called Shadow Galactica, an organization bent on destroying everything and ruling the universe, begins eliminating her friends one by one. Her task requires her to persevere when solitude threatens to overwhelm her. Will she be able to protect those she loves? What awaits her beyond the battle? Sailor Moon fights on despite the pressure of her self-imposed mission as the final chapter of the beautiful and strong Sailor Guardians begins."—Netflix

I watched the spanish dub because they had some of the original voice actors back in this movie and, you know, the nostalgia. It was weird to get used to some of the new voices they had tho, they changed some of my favorites!! But I want to watch the original Japanese version too. It was funny to hear them using the "chan" and "san" along with the spanish dialogs again. Plus, they used too much spanglish in my opinion in all the attacks and transformations. (Says someone who uses spanglish in her daily life, hehe). The character design and animation is pretty good and beautiful, I'd say I liked it more than the one of the previous movies. 


These movies are a lot darker and dramatic, we don't get to see many funny moments in the slice of life scenes. But as always it has a strong "power of love and frienship" message that I always like about the show. 

There were so many changes that caught my attention cuz I wasn't expecting them. But hey, this is me only comparing it to the 90's anime.
First was, Usagi's engagement ring, it was pretty but kinda different from the original design I always loved.

New engagement ring~ ♡

For some reason, Haruka & Michiru went to the same school as the other Senshi this time, nothing wrong with that but I liked their old uniform so much!
One thing I didn't really like was how much the relationship between the Sailor Senshi and the Star Lights changed in these movies. Even how it developed and stuff. I get it's a movie and things are supposed to go faster but, still. They even changed the Three Lights personalities a lot, I felt something was missing! Seiya's relationship with Usagi wasn't the same, it wasn't fun and super cute as it was in the anime. 

Sadly, I didn't see these two as much. I love them SO MUCH!

Three Lights!

Oh well~ I did have a fangirl moment when I heard the new version of "Nagareboshi He".
But in general, I don't think they were super relevant in the story and they didn't give them an ending(?), they just disappeared! Princess Kakyuu seemed a little more relevant at the beginning but she only had a senshi transformation and got killed almost right away, she wasn't of much help really.

Three Lights performing "Nagareboshi He"

Sailor Star Lights

When I was younger, I always thought Princess Kakyuu would be way more powerful than she actually is~

I feel like Chibi Chibi had a more important role now, and she even speaks this time and we can see her transformations to Sailor Cosmos.
Chibiusa had her moment and it was kinda cool to see her with her Senshi (if you saw SM Eternal you'll know what I'm talking about) but, they were not that skilled either.


Sailor Cosmos

I wonder if there could be a continuation featuring the new generation of Senshi...

We see a lot of different enemies, including the Sailor Senshi and Mamo-chan at some point. You know, they all "die" and become evil, and only Sailor Moon can end this fight. I don't usually like the villians in this anime but I do have to admit, Sailor Galaxia is super beautiful when she's not wearing her typical outfit.


As usual, dear Mamo-chan is kinda useless, not even his evil form fights! He only stands there giving orders and dies easily. Sad, but true.

After the big fight on the second movie we see everyone going back to life and to their normal lives, then we have the big moment, Usagi and Mamo-chan's wedding, that was one of my favorite things when I was a young girl. I'm not sure about this but, it looks like Usagi is pregnant in the end? I'm not sure, that's how I saw it.

All in all, and to finish this random and unplanned post; I did enjoy these movies, they were just not my favorites. I didn't have expectations but they changed so many things I loved from the Sailor Stars season and didn't give closure to some things and characters. Still, I think it's worth watching if you're a Sailor Moon fan. My inner girl is always happy whenever she sees something new that is Sailor Moon related.

See you next time~! ♡

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Social Profiles

Twitter Facebook Google Plus LinkedIn RSS Feed Email Pinterest

Popular Posts

Categories

Blog Archive

Search This Blog

Translate

About Me

My photo
Welcome to my little space! A place for me to share my interests, stories and obsessions with you guys~! ♡

BTemplates.com

Blogroll

About

Copyright © ~ MonStar's little blog ~ | Powered by Blogger
Design by Lizard Themes | Blogger Theme by Lasantha - PremiumBloggerTemplates.com